Marilyn F. Clark is a Licensed Clinical Professional Counselor, a pastoral counselor and a Fellow of the Association for Music and Imagery. Marilyn specializes in the use of the imagination as a positive force for wellness. Her expertise with imagery brings to the counseling session a broad perspective encompassing unconscious messages conveyed through physical symptoms, behavioral patterns that limit psychological freedom, and the abiding presence of deeper wisdom conveyed through expressions of creativity and spirituality.
Marilyn has used the mandala in her private practice, workshops, and trainings for many years as a means of engendering creative expression and awakening the imagination. She joined Susanne to create the Mandala Certificate Program in 2007. In addition to co-teaching the program, she also brings expertise in selecting music to enhance the mandala making experience of the Great Round.
- Trinity University, San Antonio, TX, B.A. English, history, secondary education 1968
- Loyola College of Maryland, Baltimore, MD, M.S. Pastoral Counseling 1994
- Bonny Method of Guided Imagery & Music. Studied with Helen L. Bonny, Baltimore, MD, 1975-1978:
- Mandala Assessment Certificate Program. Studied with Joan Kellogg. 1976-1980
- Usui Method of Reiki Healing, Levels I & II. Studied with Ethel Lombardi, 1980.
- Ericksonian Hypnosis and Brief Psychotherapy. Studied with Ron Klein, 2004.
Certifications, Memberships, and Honors
- Licensed Counselor in the state of Maryland
- Associate Psychologist at Johns Hopkins University
- Association for Music and Imagery, founding member
- National Certified Counselor
- American Mental Health Counselors Association
- Association for Spiritual, Ethical & Religious Values in Counseling, research grant 1994
- Stand, Flow, Shine: Caring for the Woman Within. Co-author with Judith Waldman. Piney Creek Studio, 2013.
- “Mnemosyne’s Granddaughters,” Conscious Choices: A Guide for Evolutionary Women, Hylen, Sweeny, Porter, 2009.
- “Invited by Music: Explorations in Consciousness,” 52 minute documentary film for the Bonny Institute; producer, writer, 2008.
- “The Evolution of the Bonny Method of Guided Imagery and Music” chapter in Guided Imagery and Music: the Bonny Method and Beyond, Kenneth Bruscia and Denise Grocke, eds Barcelona Publishers. 2002.
- “The Bonny Method of Guided Imagery and Music and Spiritual Development,” Journal of the Association for Music and Imagery, Vol 6, 1998 to 1999.
- “The Hero’s Myth in GIM Therapy” in Journal of the Association for Music and Imagery, Vol. 4, 1995.
- “The Emergence of the Adult Self in Guided Imagery and Music Therapy” in Case Studies in Music Therapy, Ken Bruscia, ed. Barcelona Publishers, 1991.
- Teaching Guided Imagery and Music: an Experiential/Didactic Approach, with L. Keiser, Archedigm Pub., 1989.
- “The Guided Imagery and Music Training Program,” portion of chapter for Perspectives on Music Therapy Education and Training, C. Maranto & K. Bruscia, eds. Temple University Press, 1987.
- “Imagescape,” a column in the Association for Music and Imagery Newsletter, 1996 to 2000.
- “The Bonny Method of Guided Imagery and Music” brochure, Archedigm Publications.
Primary Work Experience
- Johns Hopkins Integrative Medicine & Digestive Health Center, 2009 to present
- Maryland Center for Integrative Medicine 2003 to 2009
- Private Practice 1978 to present
- Center for Health Enhancement, professional counselor 1997 to 2003
- Pastoral Counseling Services of Maryland, professional counselor 1995 to 2000
- Cathedral House Re-Entry Program, internship & consultancy, 1992 to 1995
- States of Consciousness Research with persons with cancer, 2013 to present
- Pilot Study: Use of Guided Imagery & Music for women with breast cancer. St. Joseph Hospital Center for Health Enhancement. 2002.
- Pilot Study: Predictors of psychosocial outcomes from an outpatient substance abuse program. Loyola University of Maryland. 1994.
- Symposium Director 2003-04
- Director of the Bonny Institute 2001
- Co-director of Institute for Music & Imagery, Baltimore, MD 1980 to 1988
Teacher, Lecturer, and Workshop Presenter
- Free-lance trainer and consultant 1994 to present
- Mandala Certificate Program, Decatur, GA 2007 to present
- Celebrating Women’s Journey Workshops 1994 to 2007
- Community Workshops 1995-2007
- Adjunct faculty, Music Therapy, Temple University, Philadelphia, PA 1989 to 1994, 2014
- Team teacher in GIM training program, Appalachian State University, Boone, NC 2009 to present
- Primary trainer, The Bonny Foundation, Baltimore, MD 1998 to 2001
- Primary trainer, Pegasus Workshops, Canterbury, England 1986 to 1994
- Primary trainer, Institute for Music and Imagery, Baltimore, MD 1978 to 1988
- Lecture, 10th European Network of GIM Conference, Vadstena, Sweden, “Mapping the GIM Experience” Sept 22, 2012
- Lecture, Continuing Education Seminar, Association for Music and Imagery Conference, Chicago, IL, “Recognizing What We Know: Exploring What We Wonder About,” June 23, 2009
- Lecture, Association for Music and Imagery Conference, Furman University, Greenville, SC, “Uncovering the Mystique of the Grail” June 30, 2007
- Keynote Lecture Seventh GIM European Conference, Gloucestershire, U.K., “Historical and Philosophical Connections between the Grail Myth and Guided Imagery and Music,” September 20, 2006